Thursday, November 18, 2010

Humility

I am often humbled by my stupidity, my ignorance, and my social awkwardness.  But I'm okay with that.  After all, stuck-up people are the worst.  The last time I was wrong was about fifteen minutes ago when I was studying for my french test and I mixed up "faire le marche" and "faire le menage".  (Going shopping and doing chores are basically the same thing, right?)  Earlier today, I spilled chipotle sauce on my pants, wrote down the wrong rhythm while doing a rhythm dictation, forgot to modulate during my ear training hearing, and told my friend to stop speaking in an Australian accent when he was actually trying to be British (that one wasn't entirely my fault).  I am wrong a lot.

I think teachers need to be confident in their subject matter.  They need to know what they're talking about and be ready to answer any questions the students have.  However, I think that, on a personal level, they need to be humble.  Weston Noble said that the best quality in a teacher is vulnerability, which I think goes along with humility.  These qualities, I think, help students connect more to their teachers because they can see that they're human, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment