Thursday, September 16, 2010

Compassion

My high school choir teacher is one of the only teachers who stands out in my mind as being great at her job.  She is hard-working, talented, down to earth, and compassionate.  I think that her compassion towards her students was felt by everyone who took her classes.  Her job title should have been "Choir Teacher/Guidance Counselor" for all the kids she helped.  Students came and talked to her about everything--friend problems, abusive parents, addictions, and even little things like tough homework.  She was always there, willing to listen and give advice when necessary. 
I think that compassion is incredibly important when you are a teacher.  Students should feel like they can talk to you.  I think that creating that bond can help teachers better understand their students as people as opposed to mere sponges, ready to absorb facts and equations.  By being compassionate, teachers can really help their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment